Saturday, September 29, 2012

The hardest part...

The hardest part of releasing a new book (and drumming up interest) is getting the word out there. I have designed and printed up flyers, contacted all the local news networks, payed for Google and Facebook advertising, designed a press release.

It seems to be never ending. Now, here I am stuck again. I am not really sure what else I can do to get the word out there. As an Indie author, I rely heavily upon word of mouth. But, what do you do to get your name on someone's lips?

We've done coloring contests, hosted giveaways on GoodReads (reminder: it ends Oct 1st), had a sale for $1.50 off the cover price (reminder: last day is tomorrow). We have donated some of our books to great causes.

And yet, I feel like I am pulling my hair out. My next step is going to be taking out ads in the local newspapers. I looked into mailing out flyers via the post office, but even at the reduced rate they offer, that can get expensive.

So, here I am writing this blog, asking for ideas. What else can I do to get word out there. We finally finished (and releases) my favorite of all the stories. We've Seen Santa did really well at Christmas time. It practically sold itself as everyone was looking for Christmas books at Christmas time. I am hopeful that October will be Monster Beneath my Bed's Christmas. Monsters and Halloween do go so well together.

If you know of any newspapers (local or otherwise) or other venues that would likely be interested please either contact them for us or let us know that we should contact them.

This week, I will be sending out letters to all the local elementary schools to see if any of them will be interested in a visit. We have missed visiting with our little readers. Summer proved to be quite boring. We also have an event coming up at our local library, and hope to have another one near Christmas at one of the neighboring town's libraries.

Thanks for stopping by.

No comments:

Post a Comment