Sunday, October 14, 2012

OT Halloween Costume

So, our daughter (6) decided she wanted to be a cheerleader for Halloween this year. It's really not surprising since she did cheer at one of the high school football games with the high school cheerleaders and then walked in the Homecoming parade with them the following weekend.

Now I don't mean to offend here, so I apologize ahead of time if I do. Over the years we have found that girl costumes are far too (how can I be politically correct here?) grown up for a young girl. This is even the costumes geared towards toddlers and elementary school students. This left me wondering how I was going to allow her to have the costume she wants without dressing her in a way I find totally inappropriate.

As you may have seen in a previous post, I recently got my sewing machine back out and sewed some makeshift bedding for our Monster Beneath my Bed bed that we have in our front yard for Halloween. I took the leftover felt from the bedding and created a costume for our daughter for her costume.

I am not quite finished. I need to make a trip to Joann for some elastic. Then I will put a waistband on the skirt. It will be in the paler of the two purples. In the meantime, here are some pics of what I have done thus far.













I am really proud of myself. I didn't know I could do it. I haven't used a sewing machine, other than the night I sewed the bedding for our Monster bed, since I was a young girl in Girl Scouts, and I have never done clothing before. I guess it is a lot like riding a bike. Once you know how, you never forget.

I will post some pics of the finished product when I finish. Perhaps I will even get my little cheerleader to model it for me. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment