Sunday, March 11, 2012

Bullying...

As I watch the news and see all these stories about bullying and anti-bullying, I am so sad. Initially, the biggest problem that Bear B. was going to have to deal with was moving. He was going to deal with being the new dog in town, and also there is a missing toy that must be packed in one of these boxes somewhere.

I am still sticking with the initial story line. Bear B. And Stone have moved into a new home with their humans. Everything is slowly being unpacked and put away. Bear B's favorite toy is still missing. However, as they go exploring the neighborhood, they have encountered a couple of bullies. 

They are not who you would expect to be bullies. I wanted to break away from traditional stereotyping. As a matter of fact, the "big, mean" dogs that you would expect to be the bullies will be making an appearance, with an opportunity to show off the sweeter side of these mean breeds. I thought anti-stereotype would be a good lesson to learn along with an anti-bullying theme.

I want to help give children something they can relate to. Something innocent that perhaps can help them to express their feelings and to be able to talk about bullying. For example, while reading with their parents, parents can ask how their children feel about what is happening and ask them if they've ever had any similar experiences. 

Don't worry, I still intend to keep Bear B. & Stone fun. I don't want to write a story that will bring everybody down. I will show how they overcome the bullies, and who helps them. You can't lick bullying on your own. This is a lesson I have struggled to teach my children over the years. I figure I am probably not the only parent who searches for ways to help my children understand bullying and how to overcome it without losing themselves. 

It is going to be a harder story to write. I am going to have to go deep back in my memory. Back to when I was the new girl, in a new town, in a new school, and I wasn't very welcome. Back when I was the chubby girl that needed a bra long before my classmates did, and dealt with ridicule and downright meanness. Then, I have to turn all of that into what happens when doggies and kitties are being bullied (or doing the bullying). 

I only pray that I can do this story justice. I want to tell an entertaining story, but I also don't want to make light of the epidemic that is plaguing our schools. 

In the future, I would also like to make a book for the younger crowd about bullying and seeking help. The schools teach about tattle-tailing, and then the students become fearful of being a tattle-tale and therefore do not want to tell on the bully. We must find this line for our children and draw it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment