Tuesday, July 26, 2011

Another Review

Jun 03, 11

As this story was a children’s picture book, the review will be handled slightly different from my others. First, there are really only a few things to rate: illustrations and storyline. As I was going through the book, I found there was indeed one more category, child reaction. Although I have my own feelings about the book, they are meaningless for a children’s market book without taking into account how a child would actually react. So my child test was conducted with the help of my young son.

The book We’ve Seen Santa by Tiffany Higgins (Author) and Clark Higgins (Illustrator) is cute in many ways but lacks certain elements that keep it from being a great book. The story is about two children who wake on Christmas Eve only to find Santa in their house.

Initially, the drawings were just a little too crude to fully engage me. However, after reading through, I found there was some real whimsy with the character design. Although their faces were primitive in many ways, the illustrator added a flare that made them work. I think the art might have been benefited from the use of water colors instead of color pencil. This may have buffered some of the other issues.

The writing is very basic in the story, not wholly unexpected in a book for younger readers. It was basically a cute poem in a sing-song style. I did find a time or two that the words used didn’t quite fit the established cadence, but they weren’t necessarily wrong.

Overall: 3 Stars
In the end, I found it to be a decent read. It is something I would buy and be happy to bring out once a year at Christmas. I would also be on the look out for more books by the Higginses.

Caveat: 3.5 Stars
Despite my feelings, my three year-old son loved the story. He wasn’t as gaga over it as some of the other books I read to him, but he did love certain parts. Santa was well drawn and seemed to really speak to him, along with a few pages where the kids are being silly (a particular favorite being where the kids are peering around the wall sideways). Because of his love for the book, I have added an additional strong half star.

Happy Reading!
My indie, my tea and me
~Bethany




http://www.lastdraftediting.com/reviews/?p=46

No comments:

Post a Comment