Tuesday, July 26, 2011

A Necessary Heir by L.A. Hilden was a fantastic read. I am partial to historic fiction. I love reading about the London elite falling in love. This story did not disappoint. The entire process of falling in love, marrying and all the trials and tribulations that go with it were laid out in full. The only thing this book left to me wanting is more. I wish that it could go on forever. However, that cannot be.

Unlike your typical historic romances where the handsome aristocrat seduces the young girl into his bed before they have even wed, this young couple follows the propriety of the time. I like that. It is true to the period in every sense. I like that.

L.A. Hilden writes in a way that makes you feel like you are there. You have a vested interest in this couple’s lives. When they hurt, so do you. Their joy is yours to share. My favorite line in the book is repeated numerous times. It is, “Stuff and Applesauce.” I can picture the matronly woman saying this. I can even picture my own grandmother using this line. It put a smile on my face each time I saw it.

This book will definitely please historical romance readers of all ages. Although there are a few sex scenes, they are not distasteful. The storyline is believable. It could honestly have happened to some or many. How many titled men would do anything for a male heir? I found myself angry for the characters and inspired by their strength as they worked through their own personal dramas.

I found it nearly impossible to put this book down. Each time I had to put it down, I dwelled on what would happen next. I wondered where the story line would lead. I pondered what I would do if I were in the characters shoes. I considered what I would do if it were my own story.

L.A. Hilden did an astonishing job with A Necessary Heir. I have never read another historical romance like hers. It is original and enjoyable. I look forward to reading many more of her books.

~Tiffany A. Higgins, children’s author


No comments:

Post a Comment