Wednesday, July 27, 2011

My weekend plans

This weekend, I will be house sitting (well more like dog sitting) for my mom while she goes on vacation. For me, this is a vacation of sorts. I will be dropping my son off at camp first. My husband and daughter will be staying home.

Due to this, I intend to devote my entire weekend to reading (Silent Enemy
and perhaps The Mistress's Revenge: A Novel) and writing a review. I also intend on getting some of my writing done. I currently have 2 stories started. One is an early reader chapter book. My daughter is sort of helping me with that one. The other one is a novel, but it has only just begun. I have my main character established, but she has yet to tell me where she wants to go. Perhaps this weekend she will sit down with me and tell me her story.

Beyond that, I intend to take this long weekend to relax. I really haven't spent much time just focusing on me over the years. My doctor actually demanded that I start spending some very valuable "me time" alone. It has been more than a year since she told me to do this. I guess it is about time that I actually do. The only other time I have taken time to just unwind, no demands, no one around, I rented a motel room for a night. That really was only a few hours of me time, cramped in a little motel room. While the scenery was lovely, it wasn't much. I am looking forward to having days alone.

I know, it is my mothers home, so how exotic of a vacation could it possibly be, right? But, when you figure that I haven't spent more than a night alone in more than 13 years. It is definitely far more extravagant than any vacation, and the best part is, it is free. I'm avoiding stress because it is not costing me money. I am also getting freedom from stress because I will be staying there alone. No one saying "Mommy can I" or "Mom I need" or any of the millions of demands laid upon a woman when she is married with children. If you are among us, then you know what I am talking about.

When did my life reach a point where going to babysit my mother's and sisters' dogs was a vacation? What happened to the carefree days when I was young? Now, don't get me wrong, I wouldn't trade my children for anything. But sometimes a mother just needs a break. So this weekend, I will get my break. Yes, it will be a working break. But some days, it seems as if it is the only way I will get any real work done anyways.

No comments:

Post a Comment