Tuesday, August 9, 2011

Manners

One of my biggest pet peeves is a lack of table manners. People chewing with their mouths open, talking with food in their mouths or making other obnoxious sounds while they eat. I am a stickler for these manners and will harp on and nag my children when they forget their manners.

While I teach my children to always use their manners, actors and actresses contradict my efforts. I don't understand why television feels it is necessary for me to also hear the chewing. I can see that they are eating.

The commercials for honey nut Cheerios, for example, depict people moaning and chewing noisily. This does not incline me to run out and buy said cereal. How many TV shows have you watched lately where the cast is shoveling food into their mouths while arguing some point? If what you have to say is important, say it without the food in your mouth. Subway has recently added themselves to my list. The commercial with the firemen (and kid's voices) where they rock/paper/scissors for the chance to share the sub with it's owner. He says congratulations around a mouthful of food.

Then, there is the whole chewing with your mouth open. TV shows of all calibers are using this to show that their characters are eating. Really? Because we the people are too dumb to realize that the food around the table is food, and that when they put the fork in their mouth and suddenly their jaw is moving they must be eating? So, because of our ignorance, they chew with their mouth open? Get a clue Hollywood. Under no circumstances do I need to see or hear the food being eaten on TV.

The newer generations are growing up with no sense of proper manners. They don't understand that it is impolite to make disgusting noises with their food. And it doesn't matter what we the parents teach them. What we tell them daily. Why? Because the television tells them that we are wrong. That no one who is famous uses manners. And what kid doesn't have some hopes of being just like some actor/actress they see on TV?

I will continue to attempt to teach my children manners. I will continue to pound it into their heads. But when my 13 year old uses excuses like "No one at school uses manners" even though it is actually a lunchroom rule at his school, then I admit, it is probably a lost cause. But my never-ending quest for manners will continue.

No comments:

Post a Comment